A Few of the Best Things About the “Seasoned” Years
Despite the negative messages the media would have us believe, there are plenty of good things about getting older and reaching the later decades of life. Although some of us might have arrived kicking and screaming, most of us realize how lucky we are to be able to say we are “seasoned.”
We may be older… we may not have all the stamina and abilities we probably took for granted in our earlier years… but, today, getting older is a lot different than it was for our parents, grandparents, or generations before that.
There’s a whole lot to like about being exactly where we are in our lives. There is no age limit to enjoying and appreciating life. So, come on… let’s relish in aging. Let’s reflect on some of the best things about being “seasoned.”
- We are wiser. Well, most of us can make the claim. We’ve all had many different experiences over the years, and there is always something to take away from every life experience. We learn something from the good as well as from the not so good. Even our missteps and losses offer lessons. At the very least, we know the mistakes not to repeat.
- We can slow down. Slowing down might not always be a choice we make for ourselves, but slowing down does give us a chance to be more attentive about life. Many of us look back on our younger years and realize how we rushed through them. We didn’t always take the time to really appreciate what was happening in the moment. Now, when life is not as fast-paced, we are less likely to squander our time and more likely to pay attention to what is happening around us and truly value our experiences.
- We know what is important. Many people feel far less social pressure as the years pass. It is no longer quite so imperative that we look a certain way, dress a certain way, act a certain way, accomplish certain things, or acquire certain things. Many of us simply do not care as much about what other people think, and we have a deeper appreciation of our lives and the people in our lives.
- We get senior discounts. Senior discounts start as early as 55, and we all know how YOUNG 55 really is! Being able to take advantage of senior discounts is a perk lots of folks look forward to when it comes to hitting their later decades. The goal is to be as healthy and active as possible when the discounts kick in so we can relish the bonuses they offer. It’s nice to pay less for things we really enjoy, like traveling, eating in great restaurants, shopping, hiking in a state park, joining a gym, etc.
- We are not afraid to have fun. When we reach a certain age, we often stop taking life and ourselves quite so seriously. We get a kick out of things we didn’t even notice when younger. We recognize the humor in everyday life, in our own behaviors, in the behaviors of our friends and loved ones, and in the world around us. Of course, we still have responsibilities and worries, but we understand that life is short. In our seasoned years, we appreciate the benefits of a good “belly laugh.” We put in that little bit of extra effort it can sometimes take to be joyful. And, whenever we get the chance, most of us choose to smile.
Age Adds Flavor
We are not old, we are seasoned!
Don’t forget to visit us on FACEBOOK!