Arms Not Long Enough?
Might Be Time for Reading Glasses
One of the more obvious and expected changes that comes with aging is declining vision. It usually happens gradually. First, we have to squint to read a book or see our computer screen clearly or even peruse the back of a box of cereal or can of soup. Then, we start holding reading materials that were once crystal clear farther and farther away in order to see them better. And, before long, it becomes impossible to decipher writing in anything less than large print, which probably includes the menu at a favorite restaurant, the directions that come with a new appliance, the dosage on a prescription bottle, and so on.
Many people need reading glasses by the time they hit their 40s or 50s. Although a decline in vision is normal as we age, it is vitally important to have routine eye exams by a doctor to rule out more serious problems. Your doctor will be able to determine whether or not picking up a pair of over-the-counter “readers” is all you need to bring things back into focus. If you are in the market for a pair of over-the-counter reading glasses, you can find them in drug stores, department stores, and grocery stores.
Here are a few tips that may help you pick the perfect pair of over-the-counter reading glasses.
Tips to Help You Find the Right Pair
- Avoid a guessing game. Ask your doctor for the appropriate lens strength. Your eye doctor will evaluate your vision to determine what strength is right for you.
- Shop around. There’s lots of variety available out there. Many stores offer wide selections of reading glasses in many different styles and colors.
- Look for well-constructed glasses. Find a pair of readers with solid, sturdy frames as well as clear, scratch free lenses.
- Decide if you prefer full-lenses or half-lenses. Half lenses are designed so you can easily look over the top of the lenses to view objects in the distance.
- Test out glasses before buying. Bring along some reading material so you can experiment a little. You should be able read clearly at a distance that’s comfortable for you.
Let's make the most of aging
Join the FUN. Learn more about our Membership Club!