Putting the "Grand" in Grandparenting
Grandparenting is about loving, nurturing, and creating a unique relationship that’s different than that of parent and child. It’s a bond like no other. You can create a deep, special connection with your grandchildren by sharing in their lives and the things that excite them, as well as by sharing your life and interests with them. As a grandparent, your mission is to love and enjoy your grandchildren.
Here are some tips that can help you make the most of the time you spend together.
A few useful suggestions when spending time with your grandkids...
- Take it easy together. Hang out, relax, and just plain enjoy each other’s company — without schedules or agendas.
- Be silly. Find things to do with your grandchildren that are pointless and are nothing but fun. Throw rocks in a pond. Have a whistling competition. Make a blanket fort in the living room.
- Share hobbies. Introduce your grandchildren to a pastime or hobby you enjoy. Perhaps gardening, golfing, knitting, or fishing. And, take an interest in something they enjoy — like trading cards, video games, or a favorite sport.
- Spend time outside together. Take nature walks or trips to the beach or park. Have a picnic in the backyard.
- Make a time capsule together to be opened in the future. Put in things that you both want to make sure to remember. You may even want to set a time for the capsule to be opened. Maybe in 5 years, 10 years, or even 20 years.
- Listen. Try not to monopolize conversations. Instead, let your grandchildren talk about what they’re thinking and feeling. Accept what they say without making any judgments or offering any unsolicited advice.
Let's make the most of aging
Join the FUN. Learn more about our Membership Club!