Be Your Own Best Friend
Who knows you better than anybody else on the planet? Who feels your pain and knows when you could really use a little encouragement or nurturing? Who takes pride in your accomplishments without jealousy or envy? Who is always around whenever you have free time available for a little fun or a favorite activity?
Who? Well, you, of course… that’s who!
When thinking about the close friends you’ve had throughout your life, it’s easy to forget about the person who looks back at you from the mirror. But, the connection you have with yourself is the longest, most enduring relationship you will ever have. Why not make it one of the best friendships you’ve ever known as well! The same level of appreciation and love you share with your close friends can also be extended inward. It is possible to be your own best friend.
A few suggestions you might find valuable…
- Get to know yourself better. It’s so easy to fall into the pattern of seeing yourself the way other people see you, but that isn’t always an accurate reflection of your reality. Take some time to delve a little deeper into the person beyond the image the world may have of you. You just might learn something new about yourself.
- Accept yourself. Most close friends understand and accept the good, the bad, and the mediocre aspects of each other. You would not expect a close friend to be “perfect” so don’t expect it of yourself.
- Enjoy your own company. It’s nice to know that having a good time or enjoying life does not have to depend on being around other people. Seek out enjoyable activities you can do on your own.
- Spoil yourself a little. Do something nice for yourself every now and then… something that brings a smile to your face. There’s nothing selfish about making yourself happy.
- Give yourself a break. Everyone makes mistakes. However, most people are much more forgiving of a friend’s mistakes than they are of their own missteps. Don’t fall into that trap.
- Be nurturing, comforting, and supportive to yourself. Most people would not hesitate to offer a comforting word or hug to friend if it might help. Try to show yourself the same kind of caring support whenever you need it.
- Celebrate your achievements. Notice and pat yourself on the back for your accomplishments, even the smaller triumphs that happen each and every day. Make an effort to appreciate all your positive attributes, actions, and achievements.
Let's make the most of aging
Join the FUN. Learn more about our Membership Club!