You’re bored. We’ve all been there. It’s a universal feeling that stems from a lack of stimulation and the need to find some way to feel the void.
As common as boredom is, people can react very differently to it. Some folks get very sleepy when bored and have a difficult time keeping their eyes open. Others become restless and feel the need to move. These folks may start fidgeting or pacing.
There’s nothing wrong with being a little bored. However, too much boredom can become oppressive and begin to feel overwhelming. The good news is there are plenty of ways to shake off boredom and give dull moments a little sparkle.
Here are a few suggestions you may find helpful next time you’re feeling bored…
- Grab a pen and doodle. You don’t have to be an artist to doodle something, either real or abstract. Simple doodling can be a great way to activate your creative mind. It can also help relieve stress. Try giving yourself a few minutes to simply doodle and see how you feel afterwards. You may be pleasantly surprised.
- Color. Coloring is a fun way to fight boredom. There’s something about filling in an outlined image with color that’s appealing, relaxing, and entertaining. Grab some crayons, markers, or colored pencils and print out one of our printable coloring pages.
- Write a list. There are all kinds of lists you can write that take time and concentration to put together. You could write a list of tasks that need doing around the house or a list of vacation spots you’d like to visit some time. Maybe a silly list with no real purpose would be fun, like making an alphabetical list of people you know.
- Tackle a new skill. There are countless activities and hobbies out there to learn and master. Find something that interests you and go for it. Devoting yourself to learning a new skill is sure to keep you feeling busy and focused.
- Play a video game. Video games are fun to play by yourself, but nowadays you can play with other people even when you are home alone. There are online game sites and video game systems that allow you to play interactive games with other players. See our article “Challenging your Brain with Video Games.”
- Find funny videos to watch. The internet can be a great way to entertain yourself. It’s filled with fun videos that will make you laugh. You might get a kick out of cute clips of animals or children or you may prefer watching clips of your favorite comedians. Remember, it’s pretty hard to stay bored when you’re laughing. See our article “Laugh… It’s Good for You.”
- Do something silly. Yes, silly. Shake yourself up a bit but stepping out of your comfort zone and away from your normal activities. Do something that has no real rhyme or reason behind it, like blowing bubbles, singing and dancing to some old Broadway Show tunes, bouncing a ball, taking silly selfies, etc.
Age Adds Flavor
We are not old, we are seasoned!
Don’t forget to visit us on FACEBOOK!